CUTTHROAT interview
• Hi! Can you give a brief history of CUTTHROAT?
Cutthroat was formed in 2013, originally a Los Angeles native band mostly hip-hop/hardcore crossover. Over the years, we have elevated the lineup and also the sound of the band.
• Could you provide more detailed information about The Purge?
The Purge is what Cutthroat evolution looks like to date. Myself and the other three members have all brought to the table our influences. Lyrically, per usual, I was writing about current times and what is on my mind. My bandmates sent me the tracks during the pre-production process and I knew I had to elevate vocally, to keep up with the newer sound. We are all very proud of the outcome. The idea around the title is to purge yourself of the negativity that surrounds you.
• CUTTHROAT has signed with M-Theory Audio. Could you tell us more about that?
We were looking for the right fit after we made this record, and we are really excited that we found that M-Theory would take a chance on us. So far everything has been as expected, and we are very happy.
• What is the difference between The Purge and the band's very first one?
The very first record was raw and didn’t have much direction. Over the years, we have developed our sound. The Purge EP showcases all of the different styles that we have adopted along the way. We really pride ourselves on all the songs sounding different.
• What inspires CUTTHROAT's music and lyric writing? What do CUTTHROAT's lyrics talk about?
Lyrically, I use my voice to discuss the current times that surround us. Whether it’s what is happening out in the world or what is happening in my personal life, I try to make topics that can relate to everybody. Musically, all the musicians have influences different from one another. This is what gives us the unique sound that we have, blending all of the elements from hip-hop to thrash metal.
• Do you play live often? Do you enjoy performing abroad?
I try to focus on a couple tours during the year. I really love playing overseas as I feel more people are emotionally connected to hardcore than anywhere else. We’ve toured overseas so much that we have built up a really good friend base and it is amazing to see our friends every time we are there. We would love to play the states more.
• How often does the band practice and work on new material?
Because my bandmates live in Brazil, we usually only rehearse a day or two before tour. We will meet in the city of our first gig and rehearse from there. We are all professionals and get our work done individually before the road.
• How did the band come up with the name CUTTHROAT? What does it mean to you?
I named the band Cutthroat because Life is Cutthroat.
• What are the band's plans for the near future?
To continue making records and tour as often as possible. Bigger shows and bigger records are our goal.
• Do you have a message for Iron Backstage readers?
Anyone who has supported Cutthroat, thank you so much, and nothing but love and respect. Anyone who hasn’t yet discovered Cutthroat, well, we love and respect you too.
https://www.facebook.com/
https://www.instagram.com/
