FANE interview

 Hi! How have you been?

Hello! Great. I'm speaking to you from somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico. I can't tell you exactly where, but I'm well fed.

Can you tell us more about Armageddon Scar?

It was supposed to be the first album in our four album Apocalypse Series. Each album would be a different horse and rider of the apocalypse (white, red, black, pale) which would correspond to a different subgenre. This was the white horse album, mostly doom centered. I'm not sure if we're going to stick with this idea for the next album, but we're happy with the way Armageddon Scars turned out. The lyrics fit this theme as well.

Did any particular event inspire you to write this album? Where did you find the inspiration for the songs and lyrics?

The songs have a baseline apocalyptic feel, but the subject matter ranges pretty widely from personal experiences to different world perspectives. It's not a straight line throughout the album, more of a running theme.

Are there any plans to release a new music video for one of the tracks?

No current plans, but I wouldn't say no either. I would love to work with someone that could give the songs another dimension.

Can you describe the recording and writing process for the album?

Typically, Ryan and I decide on a musical direction for the album first. Do we want a similar sound throughout, or a mixed bag?  Aggressive? Atmospheric? Once that direction is agreed on, I'll spend the next several months writing and recording the music at my studio. Once the tracks are mostly done, I'll send them over to Ryan in case he wants me to cut something or extend something for him. After the instrumental tracks are solidified, he'll spend a week or so at the studio writing and cutting vocal tracks. After he leaves I'll mix and master the record and get it ready for release. Once that's done I take a few months off, then rinse and repeat.

What was it like working with Octopus Rising, and how did that relationship develop?

I'd previously reached out to their A&R rep Michele, and was lucky enough to get their attention. It's been great. Gero and the team have really opened us up to a broader audience and to another part of the world we wouldn't have had access to on our own.

To what extent did each musician influence the album?

Ryan and I have been working together for many years, even in prior projects. So our styles are very much aligned. We have similar interests and like similar bands. The songs don't sound complete without him. He can make anything heavier.

Are there any plans to go on tour?

Yes. No immediate plans right now but we've already started recruiting for the live version of Fane. We'll be hitting the stage after the release of the next album. Our main goal is to tour Europe and beyond.

What else is happening in the world of FANE?

I've spent the last 8 months upgrading and rebuilding my studio, which is where I also run my mastering service, but now I'm happy to report that we're in the early writing phase for the follow-up to Armageddon Scars.

https://www.instagram.com/fanetheband/