LIEFORM interview

Hi! Please introduce LIEFORM to the readers.

lieform is a post-grunge rock band based out of Boise, ID USA. We specialize in a strong 90's/00's sound with influences from Incubus, Deftones, Rush, and Pink Floyd, among others

Tell us more about Crimes.

The album CRIMES(2023) is a concept album about the way we treat each other and even ourselves. It opens the book on value, self-worth, and learning how to overcome and move forward from the tribulations of our lives.

When did you start writing music - and what or who were your early passions and influences?

I [TC] started writing music before I'd even picked up an instrument. As early as 1996, I would write lyrics and poetry, picked up guitar in '99, and immediately began writing full-length songs, Tragic Life (on the album) was actually written when I was 16 years old. My biggest influences at the time were Korn, Deftones, Pink Floyd, and Incubus.

What are your main impulses to write rock music?

I love heavy music that is also pretty and fun, rhythmically. I want to write rock that my audience is out there dancing and singing to, not just moshing. 

What do you personally consider to be the incisive moments and pieces in your musical work?

The title track Crimes was a very incisive moment in my life. The song was about a very specific and dark time and place I was in, and it is one of my favorite examples of when exactly what I wanted to say is said, and in exactly the way I wanted it said.

How would you describe and rate the music scene of the city you are currently living in?

The music scene (not just rock) in Boise is large and full of life. It's a strong-knit community of people that work together, and talent is prevalent in the area. The only downside of this area of the US is that it has very little representation on the mainstream front. I would like to see more agents/managers here so they could see the size and quality of the local music and begin lifting-up some of these underground hits up to where they can be heard by more than SW Idaho.

When it comes to being a musician, what are your criteria for quality? What are currently your main challenges and ambitions as a musician?

The biggest thing holding back a lot of rock groups in the world is mediocre (or just downright bad) vocals. I challenge and hold myself to a much higher standard as a vocalist than I do as a instrumentalist, taking vocal lessons to keep my voice up to snuff. I understand that a great sounding song can be ruined by bad vocals so I'm constantly practicing and pushing myself to do better, in order to perform a better show for everyone.

What do you usually start with when working on a new song or lyrics?

The guitar of a song generally writes itself within a matter of minutes or a couple days. The lyrics are much harder for me. I want the song to mean something to me (and hopefully others) before I finalize it and that can take years at times. Typically, I'll write the melody and actual syllable count for the entire song, then through the course of practicing and having the song stuck in my head, the words tend to reveal themselves within the sections. Sometimes I'm even surprised with myself when I finish writing a song and realize it was actually about something super important or dear to me. It almost feels like someone else wrote it, but FOR me.

Tell us a bit about the selection process for deciding on what to write about, please. What sources will you draw from for research purposes and how much time goes into research, gathering altogether in general?

Well just to expand upon my previous statement, I have very little control over what the song will be about until after the lyrics are coming together. I usually notice a theme occurring and start to lead the lyrics in that direction. But sometimes I literally have no idea what the song is or will be about until its completely finished and I'm like, "huh! Thats actually kinda cool!" And if I don't like the result, I start over and wait as long as I have to to write the lyrics MEANT for that piece.

As more and more people are producing and releasing music, there has been exponential growth in promotion agencies. What's your perspective on the promo system? In how far do you feel it is possibly undermining musical freedom?

With the rise in self-produced music with help from the internet, I have seen that the only thing these bands really need is representation. Everyone is afraid of the BIG, BAD record companies and their contracts designed to improve their own situation, typically taking advantage and disillusioning artists. So what we need is a promotional system designed to distribute an artist without the fear of losing their art or message. I think it's the new wave of artist distribution and feel it only increases musical freedom, albeit at the expense of inevitably over-saturating the markets.

Rock music scene has changed considerably over the past century. What, do you feel, could – or should - be new forms and formats for music? And, should we save old-school spirit or just go forward together with musical 'evolution' ('degradation')?

I often say there's no such thing s an original piece of music. At least, not 100% original. We right our personal lyrics with a typically borrowed note progression, same with guitar (but worse). Music wouldn't grow if it weren't for the lessons our musical fore-fathers instilled in us. If we abandon the old in search of the new, we'd literally havenothing to work with and musical art would collapse in on itself and it's own ironical LACK of originality.

Music-sharing sites and blogs as well as a flood of releases in general are killing music. What's your view on this topic?

I don't believe its KILLING music. It is making it harder to get noticed, yes. It's also making it harder to get recognized/picked-up by fans as well as making it harder to get paid for your art. On the other token, I believe heavily in the information age and believe that most things should be available and not held at a premium. I also feel like applications like spotify do a great job of allowing people to discover new music, but it can't be argued that they have little to no respect for their artist's well-being and should be held to a higher level of accountability when it comes to artist rights and royalties.

Please recommend two bands to our readers that you feel deserve their attention.

Deftones and Chevelle. If you like these guys, you'll like us!

What are your plans for the near future? Thank you, and see you next time!

With the pending release of our first studio album, lieform has high hopes to hit the road this summer. Festivals is where we'd really like to be, sharing the stage with our favorite bands, and getting more people than the Pacific Northwest to hear what we have to offer!

Thanks for giving us a voice! We are lieform.